Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Belizean Bliss

We just got back from our vacation to Belize! It was so relaxing. Belize is one of the most interesting places I've ever been to. (Disclaimer: Belizean history in the following paragraph. If you don't care about the background of Belize, just skip straight to the pictures. I won't be offended). 

For a frame of reference, Belize is at the very bottom of Mexico, east of Guatemala, north of Honduras. Belize was originally inhabited by Mayans that came down from Mexico, until one day a slave ship from Africa shipwrecked. The Africans on board swam to shore and settled in Belize. The two races get along completely and it's one of the safest, if not the safest, country in Central America. Britain came and took control of the land for a while, and called it British Honduras, until the eighties when they became an independent country. So imagine a luscious, tropical green land with friendly Black and Mayan people who all speak English with a tiny accent. It's so fun!


We took about a million pictures so I'll spare you and just post the interesting ones. We had so much fun and it was great to get away from phones, school, emails, and work to enjoy 8 days of solitude with my family.



     We had a long day- from Salt Lake City (a 6 AM flight..) to Houston to Belize City. From Belize City we took this metal cage ready to crash at any moment plane to Dandriga, then a 45 minute bus ride to Hopkins. Whew!


Jeffrey got asked to be the "copilot" on this tiny plane. He accepted, excited to sit in front, when mysteriously he was kicked out so that a cuter girl could sit next to the captain. Sorry Jeffrey. Meanwhile, I was the girl in the back of the plane needing to be sedated. 



Our resort. So beautiful!


We got a chance to visit the Mayan ruins on the boarder of Belize and Guatemala. We learned all about December 21, 2012. Our Mayan tour guide told us that the Mayans don't believe it will be the end of the world, but rather a new beginning. He did mention something about the poles of the earth changing... so watch out for sprouting mountains and falling valleys. 




More pictures to come later!

4 comments:

  1. Twas bliss, we should live on permanent vacation because we're so good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I appreciated the history lesson too. It looks like a great place to be shipwrecked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, amazing! Brought back so many Belize memories. I kind of think we maybe stayed at the same place?? Or at least so close. I'll have to look through my pictures. I remember that little deathtrap airplane VERY well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you guys had such a great time! It looks so pretty there. I can't believe you had to sit in the back of that airplane by yourself ha -- glad you made it there alive!

    ReplyDelete