Sunday, February 12, 2012

Where's The Good Mail?

Remember when you were young and opening mail was so fun to do? You look outside and see that short little white mail truck stop by your mailbox, and you'd run outside to get the mail praying you'd see your name addressed on a letter... Preferably, on a pink letter with confetti on it and the words "BIRTHDAY PARTY" on it. It was a much simpler time. Now I understand why my parents had the complete opposite reaction than I did when I saw the mailman. A stuffed mailbox no longer emanates the hopes and dreams of a birthday party or, even better, a sleep over party, but rather solidifies the unfortunate reality of responsibility in the form of bills. My mail box is constantly filled with a nagging reminder that I need to pay rent, electricity, internet, credit card... And, being 22 years old and in Provo, Utah, there is of course the weekly wedding/baby shower invite. And every time I haul the mail up to my apartment, letters ready to burst out of my arms like snakes in a can, I have the tiniest temptation to just throw it all away, ignore the problem, act like its not there. But, the responsible wife in me scolds my inner child for being whiny that there's no birthday card, and I sift through the bills and wedding invites.

This past mail trip, however, was a much more pleasant surprise. Knowing my strange affinity for packages in the mail, my mom decided to brighten my week and send me a Valentine's package. How exciting! I could feel 7 year old Dara jumping inside ready to tear apart the box and see its contents. My mom has always sent me miscellaneous holiday packages since I went to college and I LOVE every one. This one was a care package of love, from holiday socks (I never have to go sock shopping.. if there is such a thing.. due to my overwhelming collection of holiday socks from my parents.) to fruit snacks, those heart candies (that for some reason I literally can't get enough of) to cheesy gold fish for Jeffrey; it was the perfect pick-me-up for the week. Thanks mom!

Note: Notice that the sweethearts and goldfish are both absent. Those were quickly devoured upon opening this box. Much needed.


Not to mention in this same mailbox outing there was a letter for Jeffrey from his grandparents... always a good thing to see in the mail. A little heavier than regular mail, but still fits inside the envelope. I wonder what they sent... :)





I love having family on both sides that are so considerate and thoughtful to the random couple living hundreds of miles away.

1 comment:

  1. Hey this is Randi's friend Emerson - Randi told me that your husband got into Whittier - I am happy to answer any questions that you might have about WLS or Costa Mesa. Also, if you have questions about the other law schools in the area or about which student loans not to get, I am happy to answer!

    Good luck with the process. I know this time is really stressful and there are a lot of decisions to make!

    ReplyDelete